Timeless Update: Kitchen Redesign & Remodel
This kitchen renovation was designed to better serve the needs of a family in their long-term home. The kitchen is the heart of the home, and the existing space was not open enough to allow the family to easily interact.
The solution was to redesign the space, replace the worn-out cabinetry and countertops with updated versions, and remove the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and family room to allow a better use of the space.
Level of All-Inclusive Design™
From design, to product, to renovation, we make design and renovation dreams come true.
- Removal of Load Bearing Walls
- New Windows & Doors
- Custom Cabinetry (Design & Installation)
- Interior Design
- Lighting Design
- Lighting Fixtures
- Plumbing Fixtures
- Flooring Installation
- Trim Work
How We Transformed This Kitchen
By redesigning the kitchen and opening it up into the family room, the traffic flow, function, storage and social needs of the family have been optimized.
We sought a look that would last not only in durability, but also in its appearance. The goal was to mix old and new for the timeless look. Antique white-painted, powder-glazed cabinetry with an inset frame blends with the alder wood cabinet doors, which offer a distressed finish reminiscent of real dockside wood. The banquette tabletop is also alder wood with a dockside finish to match the inset cabinet doors.
The natural stone countertop top on the island features flecks of color that pick up the shades of a local beach and Lake Huron.
A two-bin garbage/recycle pullout cabinet in the island is on a servo drive – an electronic amplifier used to power electric servo-mechanisms – which allows the homeowners to tap the cabinet with their knees to throw something away, solving the problem of having wet or dirty hands during food prep or clean up. Spice pullouts on either side of the range are accented with stainless steel fronts.
- The custom cabinetry is CARB compliant with a Low VOC finish, meeting the strictest indoor air regulations for not off gassing harmful toxins into the indoor air. The Canadian plywood used in cabinet construction does not contain added formaldehyde or pollutants, and cabinetry construction utilizes a soy-based resin.
- The quartz countertop is certified with GREENGUARD and is radon free. AS an added benefit the quartz is mined in Canada.
- The cast iron sink is made from at least 80% recycled material and is meant to last for life. Again, this reduces the likelihood that the product will end up in a landfill just a few years down the road.
- The faucet was made with solid brass construction for long life and durability. It features a lifetime warranty and conserves water by using 1.8 gallons of water per minute instead of the 2.8 gallons used by older faucets.
- Almost everything in this project has a lifetime warranty, which means less waste because nothing will have to be torn out and replaced.
- The appliances are Energy Star certified.
Before & After
The design process went very well. The installation and management of the demolition & construction activities was outstanding!! Patrick did an incredible job addressing any and all issues. Most of the time the issues were addressed before we were aware there was one. We love the area that has been created by removing the wall between the kitchen and family room. All members of the team were very professional and helpful. Their experience was evident. Patrick directed the work as if it was his own home. Every decision was based on what would ensure we would be happy. The cabinets are great, the design is wonderful, but the construction activity and direction provided was incredible. Although the experience of being without a kitchen for eight weeks was painful, dealing with William Standen Co. was not!!! I cannot say enough about the level of service. Thanks for everything.
The William Standen
Levels of Luxury
This is the beginning of a beautiful thing. At this level, no structural alterations are made to your home, but these redesigns may include things like new fixtures, tiling and countertops. Your space is reinvigorated with simple and elegant surface changes.
Experience more than just an upgrade. At this level, your space receives a full, stunning makeover. From dazzling lighting and cabinetry to new furniture and high-end appliances, your space will be truly transformed.
Get ready for a stunning reveal. At this level, your space is completely redesigned from floor to ceiling, including strategic structural changes, and finished with new cabinetry, flooring, appliances, furniture and lighting, including products carried in our luxurious line of curated home goods.